Wolfram Gloger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > It may well be an ANSI violation for this to work, but we all know
> > that many compilers do not always follow the ANSI guidelines as much
> > as we would like. Portability work is about making sure the code
> > works with all compilers, more so than following the ANSI standard
> > ;-).
>
> I agree up to a certain point (the standard isn't perfect anyway),
> but upon encountering such a basic bug in the preprocessor, I would
> run (not walk) to the next alternative compiler.

That is easy for you to say, but we have customers who use specific
compilers and we can't *dictate* to them. We also use Watcom C++ as
our compiler of choice for our projects (which we build binary
portable drivers with), and it has a number of other qualities that
far surpass other compilers.

Hence it is a lot easier to fix the code than to switch my entire
development system to a new compiler.

> > > And your examples for `badly used token pasting' and `rampant
> > > problems' in the sources were ?
> >
> > The token pasting problem was in several places in the code, and we
> > have fixed that in our copies.
>
> I'm not going to nitpick further, but still I don't like your
> words: the token pasting wasn't `badly' used -- it was completely
> normal. You haven't `fixed' the code, you have installed a
> workaround.

Ok, I have installed a workaround. My original message was probably a
little harsh, and I apologise for that. What got me riled was the
fact that the code used to compile almost perfectly cleanly (few
warnings in api.c) in the past, but suddently we had compile errors
and warnings.

> Your post just came across at least partly as a complaint that
> everyone is `just' using gcc, which is IMHO unfounded.  No-one can
> possibly account for violations of the standard in some compiler
> (even more so if that compiler costs $$).  The mesa sources have
> always been quite clean and portable in my experience.

I would say that they used to be. Right now they do not compile
cleanly at all on non-GCC compilers, but I plan to fix that.

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |