Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> Jim Kutter writes:
>  > i.e. 512x384 just displays in part of the screen, or worse yet, it falls
>  > back to mesa software.
>
> On a related note, is there any way to prevent the fallback
> to software, and have glXCreateContext fail instead?

No.

> The automatic fallback into software rendering covers nearly
> 50% of our support calls for Q3A at the moment, as a lot of
> users fail to distinguish "Mesa software GL is slow"  from
> "Q3A is slow!".
>
> "Can't find/access Banshee/3dfx..." etc. get lost in the
> log output and ignored.
>
> We also have confusion about GL_VERSION returning 3.1 beta
> for 3.2, etc.

3.1 beta != 3.2.

There should be no confusion there.

> Is there any chance nice to set this
> string automatically during configure, with proper GL
> version, Mesa version, and creator/creation date?

It should be fine as-is.  The problem, I think, is people
using 3.1 BETA version.  Whenever I see people mention 3.1
beta in their bug report my first response is to tell them
to upgrade to 3.1 final.

> That way
> support/FAQs can ask for the value of this string. Q3A
> selects its GLs in a way confusing to users, and often
> picks a software-only /usr/lib/libGL.so installed by the
> distro.
>
> Further: if we submitted patches for more detailed
> GL_RENDERER information, is there a preferred format for
> this string? We would like to identify pure passthrough
> (VG, V2) and troublesome (VR) cards reliably, as they
> require different X11 handling (focus). I am even tempted
> to add PCI vendor/device ID (or some string mapping) here,
> in case we have to deal with oddball boards.

I haven't looked at the format for GL_RENDERER for the 3Dfx
driver lately but I thought it was detailed enough to determine
the type of card you're using.

If not and you want to change it, please don't break backward
compatibility.

> With Banshee, V3/4/5 we might also have to distinguish
> Glide based fullscreen (if any) from X-in-window, for
> XFree86-4, if the old mode of operation is still available
> then.

You should be able to determine that from the GL_RENDERER string.

If I'm missing the point, please provide some concrete examples.

-Brian