On Wednesday 11 March 2009 09:41:08 Kamalneet Singh wrote:
> Brian Paul wrote:
> > Kamalneet Singh wrote:
> >>
> >> We have a project to develop OpenGL ES Shading Language compiler. We
> >> want to use llvm, and it makes sense to work with mesa instead of
> >> starting from scratch.. :) So it's great that something works!
> >
> > The LLVM code that's in Mesa now has nothing to do with the shading
> > language compiler.  I don't know if you've discovered that or not.
>
> I didn't know that :) So what is it for? I saw Zack's post
> (http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2007/05/mesa-and-llvm.html), and thought
> perhaps some branch in mesa uses LLVM for GLSL now.. :)

This code was meant to be used as the IR in Mesa. So it was GLSL->tgsi->LLVM
IR.
There's a very old branch that has a GLSL compiler that produces LLVM from
GLSL but it was never finished/integrated. It's here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~zack/mesa.git.old/?h=llvm

> What is the right place to generate LLVM IR? A new pass that operates on
> mesa's IR? From _slang_emit_code?

If you're using Gallium then that code already exists in gallivm (to generate
llvm ir from tgsi). If you want to generate LLVM ir directly from GLSL and
pass that to the driver then we'd need to figure out the type of LLVM
representation that we'd want. Realistically initially we'd also want LLVM IR
-> tgsi backedn simply because the drivers we have right now use TGSI and it'd
be quicker to initially write that rather than rewrite the drivers.