On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as immediate verts, why don't we just add support to r300g to switch
> to immediate mode for small VBOs?
>
> Posting from a mobile, pardon my terseness. ~ C.

Corbin,

that seems reasonable, and it's the reason I killed the draw_quad
function. BTW immediate mode doubles the performance in glxgears.

To others:
I noticed that there is a weird optimization in u_gen_mipmaps. It
allocates a large vertex buffer and uses small chunks of it to render
consecutive quads (one for each mipmap level and cubemap face). If we
implement switching to immediate mode, it would be nice for VBOs to be
as small as possible so that the driver can easily recognize the most
efficient path. The simplest solution (4 vertices in a VBO) may end up
being the fastest one here.

Marek