On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 06:32 -0800, michal wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote on 2010-01-06 15:23:

> >> Why are you changing the layout from array to arith? Please leave that
> >> alone.
> >>
> >> Yes, the code generator needs a big_ending -> little endian call to be
> >> correct on big endian platforms, as gallium formats should always be
> >> thougth of in little endian terms, just like most hardware is.
> >>

> > Actually, 'array' formats should be endianness neutral, and IMO 'arith'
> > formats should be defined in the CPU endianness. Though as discussed
> > before, having 'reversed' formats defined in the other endianness as
> > well might be useful. Drivers which can work on setups where the CPU
> > endianness doesn't match the GPU endianness should possibly only use
> > 'array' formats, but then there might need to be some kind of mapping
> > between the two kinds of formats somewhere, maybe in the state trackers
> > or an auxiliary module...
> >

> Interesting. Is there any reference that would say which formats are
> 'array', and which are not? Or is it a simple rule that when every
> component's bitsize is greater-or-equal to, say, 16, then it's an array
> format?

There isn't really a rule, and I haven't profiled code enough to tell
which algorithm is faster for swizzling -- bit shifting arithmetic or
byte/word/dword indexation. My expectation is that byte/word/dword
indexation will be faster for n x 8bit formats. In particular there is
sse3 instruction PSHUFB can swizzle any n x 8bit format, 16 channels at
a time. Where as bit SSE2 bit shift arithmetic instructions can only do
4 or 8 channels at a time, for 32bit and 16bit formats respectively.

Again, this is only relevant for the generating CPU routines that will
do pixel translation. GPU drivers should behave identically regardless
of this layout.

Jose