Thanks Jose!  After talking to someone who knows more about git and
looking at ten or so tutorials, I was going to try rebase on the next
change.  Looks like that's the right thing; I don't want those merges
either.

I wonder if your tip could be added to mesa3d.org, in the "Source Code
Repository" section, at the bottom.  I know we don't want yet another
git tutorial there, but it may help people who do occasional one-offs
and don't work on anything that needs its own branch.

Thanks!
Karl