2010/3/15 Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net>:

> One problem is that drivers can be loaded from several paths; if the HW
> driver fails to load from the first path but succeeds from the next one,
> any error messages from the first attempt would be confusing.

If it fails to load because it does not exist ? Or because it exists
but has undefined symbols or other problems ?
It makes sense to not display the first case, but what about the second ?

And what if the driver cannot be found in any places ?

Here are two examples :

1) If swrast can be found

With current mesa master :
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so: undefined
symbol: nv50_transfer_init_screen_functions)
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/nouveau_dri.so failed
(/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/swrast_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/swrast_dri.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory)
Mesa: Mesa 7.9-devel DEBUG build Mar 15 2010 01:44:03
Mesa warning: couldn't open libtxc_dxtn.so, software DXTn
compression/decompression unavailable
2623 frames in 5.0 seconds = 524.588 FPS

The first swrast_dri.so error is indeed misleading as it was loaded
fine afterwards. Well we don't need to display that.
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so: undefined
symbol: nv50_transfer_init_screen_functions)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: reverting to software direct rendering
Mesa: Mesa 7.9-devel DEBUG build Mar 15 2010 01:44:03
Mesa warning: couldn't open libtxc_dxtn.so, software DXTn
compression/decompression unavailable
2708 frames in 5.0 seconds = 541.526 FPS

2) If swrast cannot be found

libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so: undefined
symbol: nv50_transfer_init_screen_functions)
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium2/nouveau_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium2/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/swrast_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/swrast_dri.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium2/swrast_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium2/swrast_dri.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: reverting to indirect rendering
3299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 658.631 FPS

could be changed to :
libGL error: dlopen /home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so
failed (/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium/nouveau_dri.so: undefined
symbol: nv50_transfer_init_screen_functions)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: reverting to software direct rendering
libGL error: swrast_dri.so not found in
/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium:/home/xavier/app/mesa/lib/gallium2
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: reverting to indirect rendering
2981 frames in 5.1 seconds = 590.078 FPS

In these two examples I only compared the different behavior with
swrast which is a valid driver, but can either be found or not.
nouveau_dri is invalid however with undefined symbols, any reason for
not displaying that all the time ?