> For developers that makes a lot of sense, but I've never seen any
> other projects impose this type of thing on regular users.

Why do you see it as an onerous imposition?
It just tries to compile a program linked with a couple of libraries
(the DRI driver, plus libGL) and makes the build fail if that fails.
It doesn't even execute the built program (and could not always do so
even if it were desired, since you could be cross-compiling).