>> This way you could copy z24s8 to r8g8b8a8, for instance.

> I am not sure this makes a lot of sense. There's no guarantee the bit
> layout of these is even remotely similar (and it likely won't be on any
> decent hardware). I think the dx10 restriction makes sense here.

Yes, it depends on the flexibility of the hardware and the driver.
Due to depth textures, I think it is actually likely that you can
easily treat depth as color.

The worst issue right now is that stencil cannot be accessed in a
sensible way at all, which makes implementing glBlitFramebuffer of
STENCIL_BIT with NEAREST and different rect sizes impossible.
Some cards (r600+ at least) can write stencil in shaders, but on some
you must reinterpret the surface.
And resource_copy_region does not support stretching, so it can't be used.

Since not all cards can write stencil in shaders, one either needs to
be able to bind depth/stencil as a color buffer, or extend
resource_copy_region to support stretching with nearest filtering, or
both (possibly in addition to having the option of using stencil
export in shaders).

Other things would likely benefit, such as GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color.