As you noted yourself in that thread, your patches were workarounds and just
masking the actual issue w/o clearly articulating it. The actual race issue
has been under investigation for quite some time and I've discussed it with
Richard before. Luckily he was finally able to root-cause and fix it!

BTW, I'm working on a change that I'm about to submit here, which indirectly
gives you separate TMPDIR for k3r5 - stay tuned.