On 10-10-17 12:45, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
Hi Mike, Nathan,

On 09/10/2017 12:43, Mike Looijmans wrote:
On 09-10-17 11:23, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
Hi Nathan,
What's the current status of U-Boot SPL on zynqmp? Last time I checked
it appeared not yet ready for a complete Linux boot, because it cannot
pass the configuration object to the PMU firmware.

- Can U-Boot SPL boot a complete Linux without FSBL on zcu102?
- How much that applies to other zynqmp chips and boards (especially
    UltraZed)?

I worked around it by building the config object into the pmufw:

https://github.com/topic-embedded-products/meta-topic/commit/706f74c9cd5fcf398ff24ee77962ebfe23340998

The data is already there, all that's needed is a line of code that
installs it.

Interesting, thanks! It's really a small patch, I will certainly test it.

On which board/silicon did you test it?

On our own boards, "topic-miamimp", we currenlty have xczu6ug, xczu9ug and xczu15ug chips on them. The modules can be used as drop-in replacement for our Zynq modules.

This also gets around the licensing issue, the config object is not GPL
compatible, so including it into u-boot code poses a challenge in itself.

Sure. And I agree with Nathan it seems a good solution also from a
technical point of view.

Technically a better approach may be to "compile" the configuration blob into a separate binary and append it to the pmufw.bin. It'd make it replacable, and reduce the resident size of the pmufw.

It would even make sense to send the configuration from the kernel, since apparently you need to change the config if you decide (for example) to use the SPI1 controller in an application. The SD0 controller being disabled by default in the config already gave me a really bad headache as it caused the SD driver to defer...

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products
Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijm...@topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

Visit us at the Space Tech Expo Europe (Stand E-71)