With the Zynq 7 series you needed pin 8 free, because it was being used to feed back the clock through the IO pad. Without that configured, it would not work above 50MHz. In the pinmux config you had to enable this, and it would be used when the clock divider was set to 2 (yielding 100MHz max.) Don't recall if the MPSoC had a similar hidden requirement.

I've run the QSPI on the ZynqMP at 150MHz (using 166MHz rated chips), and it did work, but that was quite a while ago that I tested it. Should still work on our boards though.

On 30-04-18 11:54, Martin Lund wrote:
Yeah, I see a lot of good stuff coming from you and Holden Sandlar trying to fix/patch the qspi-nor driver but as you state Xilinx seems to pay little attention to this driver. I've also applied your patches.

Surprisingly, we have just discovered that if we lower the spi-max-frequency from 108 MHz (default in .dts) to e.g. 50 MHz our read/write problem goes away?

It seems the prebuilt xilinx petalinux images run successfully at 108 MHz so it makes me wonder exactly what they are doing differently.

Also, running up UBI/UBIFS on the qspi-nor flash with the "has-io-mode" flag and at 50 MHz it seems to work fine except when we run ubi-tests ("runubitests.sh /dev/ubi0") from mtd-utils we see it crashing when running the *_paral tests which are sort of stress tests.

*From:* meta-xilinx-boun...@yoctoproject.org <meta-xilinx-boun...@yoctoproject.org> on behalf of Mike Looijmans <mike.looijm...@topic.nl>
*Sent:* Sunday, April 29, 2018 5:31:38 PM
*To:* meta-xilinx@yoctoproject.org
*Subject:* Re: [meta-xilinx] Is qspi-nor flash broken in meta-xilinx layer for zcu102-zynqmp?
There were quite a few bugs in the QSPI support last year, I've sent
patches to fix the ones I found on the 'regular' Zynq to Xilinx. Since
the ZynqMP has a different controller than the Zynq, there may some
similar leftover bugs in there as well.

The QSPI driver still has not been submitted into Linux mainline, which
indicates the poor attention the driver has been receiving.

Side note: There's no point running both flash_erase and flashcp. The
flashcp command will also erase before writing (otherwise, you wouln't
need the command...). Either use flashcp, or use flash_erase followed by dd.