I shall second this as I will very soon face the same issue. I help to
maintain a custom distribution (using a lot of the functionality provided
by the by Yocto project). Currently I am using Yocto pyro and the
meat-xilinx and I am able to take advantage of the independence of this
layer. We will need to move to 2018.1 as our custom distribution (which
runs on more than Xilinx devices) is scheduled to move to Yocto rocko. If I
cannot use the meta-xilinx-bsp without pulling in loads of other layers
this will prove difficult.

Best Regards
Peter