Hi Jean-Francois,

On 20/02/19 15:01, Jean-Francois Dagenais wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2019, at 06:01, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijm...@topic.nl
>> <mailto:mike.looijm...@topic.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> +1 for that!
>>
>> (and not just on meta-xilinx, but on kernel, u-boot, and other
>> repositories asĀ
>> well)
>>
>> These "big blob" changes are impossible to manage.
>
> Indeed. Here's a concrete example:
>
> I had to integrate the audio on our board. Our design called for the
> xilinx_dma driver to come into play. When I started using the cyclic
> mode with the audio I found it was (and still is I believe) completely
> broken/non-functional. I spent a week and a half working on
> xilinx_dma.c. I meticulously fixed the different issues I saw, cleaned
> up a whole bunch of stuff and carefully created a nice series of commits
> so that it could be discussed and applied.
>
> I was carrying this in our repo awaiting a closely upcoming release. To
> my dismay, xilinx_dma.c had a complete overhaul appear in github's
> linux-xlnx upon the release and to add insult to injury, the commits
> which were finally deposited on the repo pre-dated my work!

Oh dear. I also have fixes for cyclic DMA on the 2017.x (4.9) series.
Now I guess I will be unable to apply them on the 2018.x (4.14) series,
just as you have. :-(

> And please, PLEASE, if Xilinx wants more help and freebies, let's use
> the issues and pull request mechanisms instead of the clunky patches! Or
> gitlab.com <http://gitlab.com>'s merge requests (We're gitlab here).
> Patch management is completely un-natural and discourages MANY
> developers to get involved. Basically, all these companies combing
> through Xilinx's code are a gold mine of contributions and bug fixes.
> One would think that Xilinx would make it SUPER easy for them to report
> and even fix things. No real changes can go in without Xilinx admins
> going through a full review and adjustment process anyway... so what's
> the obstacle? It's available and free (right?), if not on github then on
> gitlab.

I'm fine with patches, I'll be OK with any system that works. What's
important is that development happens in a public place.

> Anyway, I fully appreciate that Xilinx has come a long way with
> open-source and seeing all the love and care Manju, Michal, Kwon, and
> many other Xilinx employees are putting into this I am confident that
> things will continue to improve.

I totally agree. There have been many improvements, there are many more
to go, they should happen more quickly.

--
Luca