On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 08:41:51PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Arif Khokar <arif.i.kho...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > One concern I have regarding this idea is whether or not SMTP servers
> > typically replace a Message-Id header set by the client.
>
> The clients are supposed to give Message-IDs, but because some
> clients fail to do so, SMTP server implementations are allowed to
> add an ID to avoid leaving a message nameless (IIRC, 6.3 in
> RFC2821).  So "replace" would be in violation.
>
> But some parts of the world ignore RFCs, so...

I know there are some terrible servers out there, but I think we can
discount any such server as horribly broken. Rewriting message-ids would
cause threading problems any time the sender referred to their own
messages. So "format-patch --thread" would fail to work, and even
replying to your own message from your "sent" folder would fail.

-Peff