Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koe...@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to get up a public-inbox instance and I fail to
> setup a generic message-id redirector as lore.kernel.org implements it.
> That is a request to https://lore.kernel.org/r/message@id is redirected
> to https://lore.kernel.org/somelist/message@id for a list "somelist"
> that has a message with the given Message-Id.
>
> I fail to find this feature in the code and wonder if it is a feature
> that was added only to the public-inbox clone used to operate
> lore.kernel.org.

PublicInbox::NewsWWW fallback lets //$host/$message_id work (no /r/).
It can be run as a standalone PSGI, too, see examples/newswww.psgi

At least it works on my Tor .onion mirror of lore:
http://lore.czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/ and
http://rskvuqcfnfizkjg6h5jvovwb3wkikzcwskf54lfpymus6mxrzw67b5ad.onion/

To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi

> Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
> work? Am I missing something?

That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
somewhere on kernel.org before lore)