Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstan...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 09:58:50PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> >     # the destination, could be Maildir
> >     MFOLDER=imaps://u...@example.com/INBOX.landlock
> >
> >     # initial search:
> >     lei q -o $MFOLDER -t -I https://lore.kernel.org/all/ --stdin <<EOF
>
> If I had a local mirror with extindex and I wanted to do the same thing, would
> I just modify the -I flag to point at the extindex location?

Yes.  For local stuff that's permanently mounted, I tend to do
"lei add-external $PATHNAME" so it's included by default.

> One of the
> options I want to investigate is making IMAP/POP3 accessible individual
> mailboxes fed by lei, such that a new subsystem maintainer could have a
> ready-made mailbox available to them without needing to subscribe/unsubscribe
> to a bunch of mailing lists. (This would be different from read-only imap
> mailboxes offered by public-inbox-imapd, since we'll be tracking individual
> message state. The POP3 bit would allow them to plug it into something like
> Gmail which allows sucking down remote POPs.)

I think using the "-o v2:..." option for now would be the way to
go for making a v2 inbox available via -imapd (and it'll get
JMAP/POP3 support in the future).

We don't have POP3 support in client nor server form, yet.  Not
sure how account/state management would work, nor how to
prioritize it vs JMAP support.  I'm thinking POP3 takes priority
since there's more clients for it...

Existing POP3 servers would work, too; since lei can output
to Maildir/mbox* which can work with them.

On a side note, I'm not aware of IMAP sync tools accounting for
read-only IMAP servers well, since they attempt bidirectional
sync.  "lei import" seems alright in that regard, treating IMAP
the same way it will (eventually) treat POP3.