Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jan 08, 2023 at 07:47:38PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Thomas Weißschuh <tho...@t-8ch.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it would be nice if public-inbox could extend the HTML pages it
> > generates with the "generator" meta tag [0].
> > Especially the version would be useful.
> >
> > This would help users during debugging to see the specific version of
> > public-inbox they are looking at.
>
> What would users be debugging?
> Admins would be the only ones who care, I think...

Since recently my mails to linux-ker...@vger.kernel.org that should end
up on public-inbox on https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ don't do so.
They are accepted by the mail server on vger.kernel.org but never end up
in the archives.
I suspect some interactions between b4 which is used to generate the
mails, the unicode characters in my name and public-inbox to be the
culprit.

This is what I wanted to reproduce locally, for which exact versions
would have been nice.

> Version info becomes worthless if an admin blocks/alters certain
> endpoints via nginx/varnish or just editing the code.
>
> > For example:
> >
> > <head>
> >   <title>Some page</title>
> > </head>
>
> I prefer to disclose as little information as possible in case
> vulnerabilities are found.  Alone, security by obscurity doesn't work,
> but obscurity does make things more difficult for attackers
> (same reason camouflage exists).
>
> I also don't like wasting memory+bandwidth on things most users
> won't see or care about.  This is especially true for stuff at
> the beginnning of the output since that's most likely to succeed
> in being transferred.

Fair enough.
The loading speed of public-inbox is really great, let's keep it that
way.

> > [0] https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#meta-generator

@Konstantin, if you read this:
I'll send a proper bugreport to to...@linux.kernel.org soonish.