Kyle Meyer <k...@kyleam.com> wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>
> > Eric Wong <e...@80x24.org> writes:
> [...]
> >> Does this untested patch fix it?
> >
> > I am looking at https://list.orgmode.org/ and the thread still displays
> > the future date "2023-10-29  1:04 UTC" as the last update time. Though
> > ordering suggests that the future time was ignored when building recent
> > thread list.
>
> The "it" that I reported is the sorting, so as far as I can see it's
> fixed.  With the "last update time", I suppose you're talking about the
> second line below:
>
>   [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
>                                         ` [POLL] Proposed syntax for [...]
>
> I don't care too much one way or the other, but it makes sense to me for
> that to match the value that's actually used to sort the messages.
> Eric, what about something like this?

I'm slightly against it.  Date: is what's shown in every other
message view, and I think that's what most MUAs do, too.  I'm
fine with wrong dates being shown as long as it's not abusable
to pin a message to the top of /$INBOX/.

Aside from git-send-email behavior mentioned upthread, Date:
should also be favored in general because it's consistent across
recipients, and across independently-run archives w/o common
history.

I think the best we can do is point out to senders their clocks
are wrong, as this has been the case going back decades.