On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 10:40:34PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Perhaps 50K is too much?  I figured clients would have a way to
> limit that, but I don't really pay attention to POP3 clients...

The few clients I looked at didn't give any option to specify how many remote
messages I want to retrieve, so I think defaulting to 50,000 is not the right
approach. Maybe the default limit should be something "last 7 days or 1000
messages, whichever is larger"?

My initial target for deploying POP3 support is to allow Gmail users to
pull-subscribe to mailing lists, since Gmail is the #1 provider that we have
trouble with message delivery due to their draconian threshold limits.
However, I think if the default behaviour results in dumping 50,000 messages
into people's inboxes, they wouldn't use it, which is why I think we should
have a default that is lighter both on the server side and on the users.

-K