On Monday, Aug 23 1999, Dave Cragg wrote:

> Hi
>
> Another Windows question.
>
> Is there a "correct" way to use an external with a standalone on Windows.
>
> The docs say the dll must be on the $PATH environmental variable.
> However, the $PATH variable doesn't inlude the path to the standalone
> exe file. I just added the "directory" to $PATH on startup, something
> like this:
>
> get the directory
> replace "/" with "\" in it  -- for Windows
> put it & ";" before $PATH
>
> This works, but not having a complete grasp of the environment
> variable concept, I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this, or
> if there might be any unwanted consequences.
>
> Any confirmations, warnings, or otherwise appreciated.

The way I always do it is to put the external in the same directory as the
executable.  When in non-standalone mode, thats the MetaCard program folder,
when a standalone, the same directory as the app itself.  Then add it to the
Externals property.

Regards,

Kevin

> Regards
> Dave Cragg

> The LACS Centre (Business English Training Resources)
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.lacscentre.co.uk

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.