On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Ernst Michael Reicher wrote:

> Hi,
> the new ask and answer dialogs:
> 1) for intenational users one thing I donīt know how to modify:
> the OK and cancel buttons in the ask dialog!
> e.g. in a german MC-stack the use of "OK" would be ok but "cancel" should be
> "Abbrechen" or something else!?!?!

This is something that didn't come up when this topic was discussed on
the xTalk list awhile back.  It was on the feature-request list but we
didn't give it a very high priority.  How do HyperCard/SuperCard users
deal with this, hack the resources?

It's not needed for answer, because you can specify button names
there, but do you have any suggestions for how to add this to the
"ask" syntax?

> 2) the icons in the answer dialog can be only one of four b/w icons!?!?!?
> The built in icons of mc (donīt be angry about my words, but they look more
> like icons of a children freeware than those of a professional 1000 Dollar
> software) have wonderfull id-numbers.

The icons are the standard Motif icons, so all those users of $20,000
workstations must really be suffering ;-)

> Wouldnīt it be nice to have the simple
> choice of the four standard icons by name, like it is now in 2.3 AND
> optional by id-number???

If you're going to deal with adding image ids, you might as well hack
the stacks themselves because you've already given up all hope at
usability and natural syntax.  It's a 30 second task and can be
automated.  We've considered making this even easier by having custom
properties on the stack that you could change from scripts (something
like "the questionIcon", etc.).  Would this be useful?

> btw what about changing the icon in the ask dialog simply the same way??

Better (platform-standard) images are planned for the final release.
As stated in the README, the alpha test is just a test of the engine
functionality, not of the UI features.

> Menus larger than the screen....
> the first one I could find was the text-font-menu of the metacard menu bar
> and it started with about 3 empty lines, the hilited line was also about 3
> lines below the cursor and  the bottom scrolling arrow was outside the
> screen???!

Turns out these don't work right for hierarchical menus in 2.3A4.  It
works better if you'd built your own long menus...

> Painting:
> magnification is necessary (icons must be edited pxel by pixel) and the
> tools are toooooo big.

Control click with the pencil tool brings up a magnifier window.  I'm
not sure what you mean by the tools being too big.  Are you referring
to the tool icons, or to how they paint when you use them?
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.metacard.com