At 12:54 PM +0200 13/9/1999, Dominique Busso wrote:
>Our app (MC 2.2.4) is generating a text file, that is text characters and
>a "special" character for "end of line" (linefeed (10) for instance).
>Step 1: we run the App on MacOS, generate the file -> file1
>Step 2: we run the same App on Windows, generate the file -> file2
>When we copy file1 on Windows and opened it: it's not the same as file2
>(for instance file2 will ave good end of lines, but file1 will display 1
>line with the special character..
>-> is there any differences made by MetaCard when running on MacOS or
>Windows?
>-> or am I missing something very obvious here?

When writing to text files, Metacard will convert the "end of line"
characters to the appropriate ones for the current platform.

If you need the files to be identical on all platforms, try doing a
binary write. For example:

put tSomedata into url "binfile:/somePath/somefile"

Similar conversions are done on reading, so to get exactly what is in
the file, use a binary read:

put url "binfile:/somePath/somefile"  into tSomedata

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Dave Cragg