I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has already been covered.

I am writing an application that, in part, allows users to choose what
information they would like to see displayed from a text file containing
many possible choices.  I first wrote this using a scrolling field set to
list behavior, so that by selecting a line in the field the user could
display the information about what was on that line.  This was done with
the field's script, and it worked fine.

However, I wanted to use a button - set to a pop-up or other type of menu -
as the method for making this selection.  I did this, and copied the script
with some minor modifications (since I was dealing with a button, not a
field, and which I know work) to the button.  However, now the script will
not work.  The problem appears to be that the result gets set to "eof" the
very first time it reads from the file, even though it should take over
thirty reads before it reaches the end of the file.  This of course kicks
me out of my read loop & informs me that it couldn't find what I was
looking for.  However, the field script in the same stack (!) works great.
I've tried the button as a pulldown, popup, option, and even combobox, all
with the same result.  Is something going on with the "result" constant
that I don't understand?

Also, I have a problem with pulldown, popup, and option buttons.  If they
have more choices than can be accomodated on the screen, those choices
beyond the bottom edge of the screen cannot be selected.  Normally, moving
the mouse to the bottom of the popup would cause the menu to scroll so you
could get to the hidden choices, but this does not occur in MetaCard.  I
can only do this with a ComboBox, but I really don't want to use this
because there's no way to keep the user from editing in the box, which I
don't want them to do.  I'm using version 2.2.5 on a Mac, System 8.6.

David Tremmel