On Saturday, Nov 27 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> A question: when I build a metaCard standalone it builds ands
> runs ok, _however: the standalone is about 2.5 meg - much
> larger than a standard 1.44 meg disk.

I hate to point this out, but floppy disk drives aren't even included in
more recent Macs.  I would consider them to be more "obsolete" than
"standard", CD writers being pretty inexpensive :-)  However, if you *do*
want to distribute on a floppy, not all hope is lost...

> In hyperCard one can 'reduce' the size of a standalone
> by eliminating resources in the resource fork. However
> since MC is cross platform, and since other platforms
> do not distinguish between data and resource forks I am
> a bit at a loss as to how to slim down the standalone.

It sounds to me like you've built a fat binary standalone, i.e. one that
runs on 68k and PPC machines.  Building using one or other engine will half
the size of the standalone.  Compression will then shink the actual engine
size down to somewhere around 700k if I remember correctly.

> Even compression using stufFit is probably not enough.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Oh, as you may have guessed I am on a mac platform. However
> the help box explains that the mac platform can build a
> standalone for ibm compatibles. I presume just by adding the
> suffix .exe (during the construction process, not afterwards)

Its not quite that simple.  You have to build a seperate standalone for each
platform you plan to distribute on.  Download the engine for the platform
you want to build on, and select that engine in the standalone builder to
create a standalone using that engine.

Regards,

Kevin

> If anyone has ideas on these issues, or references please let
> me know (and now, off to the archive list where i shall swim through a sea of
> data...)

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.