On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Ernst Michael Reicher wrote:

> Hi,
> MC on Windows network
> Iīm trying to work with a MC-file which lies on a networkServer but when I
> try to save the stack (save this stack) the result is always (no, not
> always, just sometimes!!!!) "Canīt open stack backup file"?!?!??!

What MetaCard does is rename the stack's existing file to filename~.
That way if there's a problem (out of disk space, disk error, network
error, program/system/server crash, etc.) you can always get the
original version back.  I can't think of any reason for this to fail
intermittently, but there are lots of reasons for it to fail
reproducibly like no permission to save in that directory, file naming
problem (e.g., name too long), or various other file system/network
problems.
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.metacard.com