On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Phil Davis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hey, somebody help me understand. The "open" card in the MT Ref says:
> ----start----
> To open multiple sockets to the same host:port address, an optional
> connection identifier can be supplied by appending it with the |
> character as a delimiter (e.g., "www.metacard.com:80|1").
> ----end----
>
> Could someone offer a plausible example of why I might want to do
> this? It's just new to me; I'm sure it'll make sense once I understand
> it (which is about as circular as, "this tastes good if you like it" -
> :-\ )

If you were writing a WWW browser in MetaCard you might want to get a
page and then start getting all of the images on that page at once.
This would require opening multiple connections to the server.  As it
turns out this seldom increases performance (and with dialup lines it
often actually decreases it) but most browsers do it I think so that
they can do the progressive display of the images.  Of course,
MetaCard doesn't support progressive display of images, so I guess my
example is kind of bogus when you get right down to it ;-)
  Regards,
    Scott