On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Peter Reid wrote:

> I'm using a player object under MC2.3b3/gamma to show videoClips and
> I've set up a scrollBar to control the playLoudness of the videoClip.
> This works fine on the Mac, but has not effect under Win 98?
>
> The PC has QT4.02 installed as well as VfW.  The videoClips are AVI
> with sound that is either muLaw2:1 or 16bit Little Endian.  Both
> types of video clip play sound ok using either QT or Media Player on
> the PC and both play ok under MC2.3, it's just that I can't control
> the playback volume in MC2.3 using playLoundess. If I show the
> controller for the player instead of using my own controls, its
> volume control works fine.  So it seems that the audio track of a
> video clip is treated as an audio clip on the Mac (playLoudess works
> ok), but not on the PC (playLoudness has no effect).

Correct.  The playLoudness goes through MCI on Windows, which QT
doesn't pay any attention to.  I think the ultimate solution to this
is probably to allow setting the volume directly on the player, but
this isn't supported in 2.3.

> Whilst the current test PC has QT, some of my client's machine will
> only have VfW, which is why I'm not using the video controller (not
> supported by VfW, only QT), but implementing my own controls instead.
>
> Any ideas?  Any workarounds?
>
> A quick response would be appreciated as I'm right up against a
> deadline and suddenly found a feature that works on my development
> system (Mac), but not on my deployment system (PC)!

The only 100% reliable solution I can think of is to separate the
audio and video tracks and play them with separate commands.  Of
course you can't sync the two exactly this way, but it'd be OK for
background sound/music.  Another option would be to show the
controller on Windows if QT is installed (use the qtVersion() function
to determine this), and bring up the system audio control panel on
Windows if it's not.  Of course your life would be a lot easier if you
could just require that QT be installed...
  Scott