Just a question about what ought to be a simple thing, but I seem to be
missing the obvious.

I am working with a field. I would like to make the font size resizable for
the user's visual comfort.

Certain functions related to data selection and input require the textHeight
of the field.

I created a field and tried to get the textHeight. The textHeight returned
empty. I checked the font information. The information was empty -- which
means that the text settings should be the same as the text settings for
MetaCard (Helvetica 14).

When I set the font information to something other than the default
settings, (say, size = 13) I get the information (textheight = 17) . Setting
the font information back to the default settings (Helvetica 14), the
textheight returns empty.

I then repeated the experiment with the textfont. Same results.

Ok, then. It seems that for any field that has the default text
characteristics (whether set at MetaCard's level, the stack's level, or the
card's level), querying for those characteristics returns empty. Is there
any easy way to obtain those characteristics via script?

Or, as is so often the case, am I missing the obvious?

Thanks,

Raymond

This is the MetaCard mailing list.