Just so I have it straight, what is the best way to affect a stack before it
is displayed?

For example, if I want to set the decorations of a stack before it is
opened, do I simply write

set the decorations of stack xxx to empty
topLevel stack xxx

I'm asking because I'm used to the convention of opening something
invisibly, setting its parameters and then showing it.  Using the above
techniques have been a little inconsistent for me, perhaps because of an
incomplete understanding of where stacks really reside when they are not
displayed.

Thanks for any advice,

Scott