I am building an app that is a simulation for practicing Classroom Management skills
(for teachers, etc). The crux of it is that they choose intervention strategies to
help change kids' behaviors. Kids are represented on screen as animated GIFs, and when
their behavior changes the image is updated to reflect the new state.

If the user doesn't select a strategy, but just does nothing, the kids behavior will
change, based on the rules for "ignoring" a student. I am using the "send" command to
trigger the ignore event, cancelling it if they select a strategy, and using "send"
again after every strategy they use, to reset the ignore event.

So far so good...

If the user clicks on the Help icon to read various kinds of helps available, I need
to be able to "pause" the ignore event messages, and resume them after they close the
Help dialog.

The message I'm sending is "ignore <kid name>"
E.g., send "ignore Alice" to me in 90 seconds

If all else fails, I suppose that I could cancel all messages and start them over from
scratch after they close the Help dialog, but this is *not* preferrable, because you
may have been ignoring a student for so long, but with no consequence.

Does this spark any useful ideas?