On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Scott Raney wrote:
>
> >> I have a vague recollection of reading on the list that there is no way to
> >> set the default directory that appears in the ask/answer file dialogs.  Is
> >> this the case, or might there be some way to set this?
> >
> > You can do it by passing a path:
> > answer file x with "/some/directory/somfile"
>
> I can't get this to work on Windows.  I'm just trying to set the main C
> drive as the default directory.  I've tried "/C:/" and "C:/" but the MC
> application directory continues to show up.  Am I not using the right path?

Works fine here in 2.3.  You may have to add an extra slash
(e.g. "C://") in 2.2.5 to work around the weird way the path to the
root directory is specified in DOS (as discussed on this list a few
weeks ago).  Of course, asking people to put stuff in the root
directory of any drive is a bad idea: there's already too much stuff
there on most systems and it can dramatically slow down the operation
of the system if you do this.
  Regards,
    Scott