On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> How to improve the performances of Metacard's CGI stacks acting as
> big txt files (and soon SQL) databases front-ends (Suse Linux 6.3 -
> Intel) ?
>
> In using FastCGI ? No... In using MCHTTPD ? Perhaps...
>
> In using "xxx.mt" scripts to start using a main CGI stack ? It seems to
> be the
> simplest and, even, the best way, after adding some more lines in
> "xxx.mt"...
>
> The "Too bad..." scripting way :
>
> #!/home/py/mc
> on startup
> send runsap to stack "wmc.mc"
> end startup

This would work, but it just loads stack wmc.mc each time the CGI is
run...

> and now, on stage..., the "Great Metacard" way :
>
> #!/home/py/mc
> on startup
> if "/home/py/mc" is not in the openProcesses then
> open process "/home/py/mc" for read
> open stack "/usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/wmc.mc"
> end if
> send runsap to stack "wmc.mc"
> end startup
>
> See by your own, what's a difference it does...

I don't follow this: there isn't any way to send a message from one
running version of MetaCard to another this way.  At this point,
assuming you can't or don't want to run mchttpd, probably your best
bet is to use something like the little client/server app posted to
this list a little while back where the CGI program is the client and
the server is the long-running MetaCard process that loads your large
text files.  This is basically the same architecture as mchttpd,
except instead of the browser data going directly to the server, it
goes through the system HTTP server as an intermediate step.
  Regards,
    Scott