On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Blair Moxon wrote:

> I have been trying out 2.3 on the PC and have some questions about the paint
> tools and icon palette.
>
> In order to put an icon on a button there seems to be 2 methods:
> 1. import a transparent gif and define the icon ID in the button properties
> under 'Extras'
> 2. select an icon from the 'Icon Chooser' (launched from 'Choose' under the
> button properties under 'Extras')
>
> It is the second method that I have questions about. I would like to import
> or create a number of
> custom icons and place them in the 'Icon Chooser', under "My Icons".
>
> I have discovered that by right clicking on an icon in the chooser, it
> launches the paint tools which allows you to erase or create icons on the
> palette.
>  I have found that if you use the paint tools from scratch, or copy and
> paste an image into it, the results are mysterious. For instance, when you
> close the paint editing mode it saves it into the mainstack and the bitmap
> you created either disappears from the palette or gets hosed into a black
> blob. I have been successful on a few attempts...so is there a correct
> procedure for doing this? I am sure I am missing something here ...As I use
> a lot of these custom icons it would be nice to just select them from the
> Icon Chooser. Thanks,

The "My Icons" card of the Icon Chooser only shows icons you've
painted on that are stored in the Home stack.  If you do a lot of
this, probably what you should do is build a custom version of the
icon chooser that gets its icons from some particular place in your
stack (like a separate card or substack reserved for this purpose).
Loop over the image objects in that place, setting the icon property
of one of the buttons in your custom icon chooser to each of them.
  Regards,
    Scott