I'm developing a CBT package which needs to store user progress
details on a central file server.  Various people might wish to look
at such details whilst the master "database" is being updated.  I
want to have a database consisting of several related files which are
open for multiple-readers and a single-writer at the same time.  This
is being developed for use under Win 95/98/NT and MacOS.

Can anyone tell me what the behaviour is of MC's file handling in
such a situation?  In particular:

- does MC "lock" a file when opened so other programs cannot access it?
- can reader programs see a consistent view of a file that is being
updated or will they see garbage?

I'm trying to implement a database using a collection of files linked
through "key fields" such as EmployeeNumber, LocationCode, etc.
Ideally, I would do random access lookup of keyed items.  Is there
any simple way of doing this with MC's file handling, only it looks
"sequential only" to me.  Even the "seek" seems to be "rapid
sequential" and dependent on using fixed length "records" for the
purposes I have in mind.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers
Peter