On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I noted this statement on the list:
>
> My favorite item delimiters are the delete key [numToChar(8)] and/or the
> enter key [numToChar(3)]. These are impossible to type, so you are
> assurred that user-entered data does not contain them, but they work
> fine with text import/export.
>
> Remark:
>
> Cisco configuration files use numToChar(3) as a delimiter. Nobody on the
> list will care about that. Just note that even though a user cannot type
> a particular character from the keyboard, that character can still show
> up in a file the user has generated.

And I don't think any of this is safe with 16-bit characters because
there don't seem to be *any* values that can't appear in one byte or
the other.  Really the only good option I can think of would be to
allow a multi-character item delimiter, which isn't supported.  For
now, the only workaround I can think of would be to use an array
instead of a single string with delimiters.  If you must import the
text, parsing up the whole file into an array using the offset()
function with a multi-byte delimiter is probably your best bet.  Even
then I think you probably want to use more than two bytes for the
delimiter because you have the odd-alignment problem (e.g., your
special delimiter might match the last byte of one 16-bit character
and the first byte of the next).
  Regards,
    Scott