I was able to access the download stack and got its script see below:

Several things I didn't get

1) I couldn't find the local of the Download Sack all. I can do is open it.
. .it doesn't appear as a substack of anything. Where is it?

2) In the script below, How is the upDateMe function monitoring the loading
process? As far as I can tell it makes the assumption that the download
should be over in 1 second, and then it simple checks, one time only, the
urlstatus.

  send "updateme" && quote & href & quote to me in 1 second

but for a movie that might take 50 seconds to download. . .what is a
standard code chunk to use to check?

3) can someone give an example of

load url "href" with message

where the message sends a show command to a hidden button. . .this would
clue me in on how this works.

4) is there a way for us to allow the user to save cached data from the load
to his hard drive? be it some HTML file, movie or sound? so that in the
future they wouldn't have to download it over the net?

on updateme href
  local stat, nk
  if cancelled then
    unload url href
    close me
    exit to MetaCard
  end if
  put urlStatus(href) into stat
  if stat contains "error" or stat contains "not found" then
    close me
    answer "Error downloading URL" && href  & cr \
        & "Check network connection and proxy setup in Preferences."
    unload url href
    exit to MetaCard
  end if
  if stat contains "cached" then
    put "Done" into field "progress"
    set the thumbpos of sb 1 to the endValue of sb 1
    wait 500 milliseconds
    close me
    if word 1 of url href is "#!/bin/sh"
    then go url href
    else answer "URL" && href  && "is not a stack."
    unload url href
    exit to MetaCard
  end if
  if item 1 of stat is "loading" then
    put item 2 of stat div 1024 into nk
    put nk & "K/" & item 3 of stat div 1024 & "K  "\
        & nk * 10 div (the long seconds - stime) / 10 & "K/sec" into field
"progress"
    set the endValue of sb 1 to item 3 of stat
    set the thumbpos of sb 1 to item 2 of stat
  end if
  send "updateme" && quote & href & quote to me in 500 milliseconds
end updateme

on preOpenStack
  local fwidth
  put the formattedWidth of field "url" into fwidth
  set the width of field "url" to fwidth
  set the width of sb 1 to fwidth - 16
  set the width of me to the right of field "url" + 8
end preOpenStack

on downloadNgo href
  put false into cancelled
  load href
  put "Loading url" && href  into field "url"
  put empty into field "progress"
  set the thumbPos of sb 1 to 0
  send "updateme" && quote & href & quote to me in 1 second
  put the long seconds into stime
  modal me
end downloadNgo

Thanks!