On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, I wrote:

>> I have an animated logo on my splash screen, which I play once at startup
>> using this code in my openstack handler:
>>
>>   set the repeatCount of image "logo" to 1
>>   wait until the currentFrame of image "logo" >= the frameCount of image
>> "logo"
>>   set the repeatCount of image "logo" to 0
>>
>> This works fine on the Mac. However, in Windows98 MetaCard 2.3 (the
>> latest download) doesn't animate the GIF unless the mouse is moving or a
>> key is pressed. Now, I've been developing in 2.3 since the first beta and
>> I'm *sure* it used to work, though I'm not sure when it broke.
>>
>> What could be happening? Any ideas?

To which Scott replied:

>Note that both Windows 95 and Windows 98 have bugs in them where
>multimedia timers are not properly disposed of, which can sometimes
>result in running out of them.  The symptoms you're seeing are the
>result.  This problem doesn't occur on Windows NT and happens with
>apps other than MetaCard (in fact, it happens with some of the games
>that are *distributed* on the Windows 98 CD).
>
>Rebooting the system solves the problem in every case we know of.  Y

Yay! I rebooted Windows and viola! the logo came back to life. But I came
across another anomaly while fruitlessly trying to fix the problem. If I
repeatedly press the spacebar or return key (MacOS or Win32) while the
logo is displaying, then instead of opening the next stack, my executable
unceremoniously quits. Doesn't happen if I open my project in the (Mac)
development environment. I put an empty returnkey handler in the
mainstack stack script. No difference.

Is this familar? Any ideas?

tereza

   Tereza Snyder