On 5/17/00 11:07 AM, Scott Raney at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> It's not another app:  I have MC's backdrop showing?
>
> Ah, so what you're really asking for is a way to get mouse events that
> are sent to the backdrop.  Any suggestions on how this should be done?
> The usual messages sent to some object you specify, or maybe some
> special set of messages sent to the current card or stack?

I'd be happy as a clam if we could simply trap backdrop mouse events in a
backscript.

Can you see any difficulties this might pose for the message path if the
backdrop were a message trap between the topstack and the backscripts?

>>> And I also agree with Hugh: any design that relies on events to break
>>> out of a repeat loop deserves to be rethought because there is almost
>>> always a better way.
>>
>> "Click to continue" is a pretty common convention.
>
> True, but that doesn't mean you have to wait in a repeat loop for the
> click.  And it's always been my experience that you have to click in
> the dialog to get it to continue...

For About boxes, yes, but not for presentations and slide shows.  They
generally do not restrict the target area to specific regions of the screen,
nor would that be a good idea if the boundaries for those regions are not
visible to the user (such as a stack with a black backcolor against a black
backdrop).

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World