on 7/17/00 9:10 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Are you sure the destroyStack of that stack is false?  I am not getting this
> behaviour here.  Make sure you are trying to load the stack using its short
> name, not its file path (your script suggested perhaps you weren't using the
> short name).  It should still be in memory so my guess is that you haven't
> refered to the stack correctly.

OK I am embarrassed to say I had the destroyStack checked. . .I must have
done than in my "early days" when just getting started and also I was
calling the stack by its file name, not it's short name.

This leads to two questions:

The mainStacks property will tell us all loaded stacks still in memory,
whether open or closed. . . .

1) Is there a way to query the memory manager to determine when we are
getting "too close" to the edge of available RAM? This is of course only an
issue where virtual memory is not on, but in the envisioned "MetaCard World"
browser environment we envision, a user could continue his browsing through
our "metacard cyberspace" and build up a large number of undestroyed stacks.
So how to query the heap space and start destroying stacks when we reach
some kind of theoretical limit?

2) is the space available for undestroyed stacks in MC's heap space or only
limited by available RAM?

One could of course create a cache directory on the users hard drive and
start saving stack there transparently, . . .but that is another story to be
told later.

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager