On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, James Parker wrote:

> What is the trick to working with binary data in MetaCard?
>
> It's easy enough to open a binary file and read in the data and then open
> another binary file for write to write out the data but how do you
> manipulate the data once you've read it in?
>
> Let's say I want to bitAnd every byte with 254 or change every 16th word
> to all zeros, for example.
>
> Will MetaCard do this?

Certainly.  You can use the bitAnd/bitOr/bitNot/bitXor to do the work,
and the charToNum/numToChar and binaryEncode/binaryDecode functions to
generate the data or convert it to forms suitable for putting into
fields.  Null bytes in variables or custom properties are no problem,
just don't try to put them into fields.
  Regards,
    Scott