Are there any QuickTime wizards out there?

I'm trying to put a small graphic object on top of a quicktime movie. The
basic idea is that a person clicks on the movie and a marker appears at the
spot where they clicked. I can grab the mouseUp on the movie and place the
graphic in the correct position, but the movie refreshes itself
instantaneously and covers the graphic. If I click near the edge of the
movie, I can see part of the graphic "sticking out" beyond the edge of the
video that does not get blasted away. I can set the layer of the movie
player, but it seems to be ignored. It is always on top.

On a related note, I don't suppose there is a direct way to determine which
frame number of the movie happens to be showing? I can get currentTime from
the player, as well as the duration of the clip. But without knowing the
duration of each individual frame, I can't convert the currentTime to a real
time measured in seconds.

Thanks,

Bob Beichner
NC State Physics