Howdy Karl -

>> Here's the deal with the GURLGURL Apple event not working in OS 9.1:
>
> Thanks Richard.  Will save someone at one point or another, I'm sure.
>
>> (of course I found the answer through a third-party site -- I
>> could find none of Apple's online-published docs for OS 9.1, developer or
>> lay, which addresses this issue).
>
> This is a real problem.  It says on Apple's support site that it was
> ranked really high by ZDNet for customer support... why?!  I know one
> person who got a broken iBook brand new, and had a bugger of a time
> trying to return it to get a working one... hopefully they get this
> situation fixed someday.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  I get the impression that they needed to do this
in order to bypass a potential secutity loophole -- if one was using
password protection for multiple users and it was not tied in with the
Standard Additions osaxen, the there are too many options for folks to
script their way around it.  At least that's my impression from what I've
read.

Such are the challenges of a transitional OS during the biggest
technological shift at Apple ever....

On the upside, there are few people who prowl their systems with a process
monitor looking for ways to trim RAM and processor use, so I would imagine
the number of affected people is relatively small (whenever I install a new
OS that's the first thing I do, is start jumbling unnecessary-seeming
extensions and control panels -- sometimes I get it right and free up some
RAM and clock time, other times I wind up like this situation <g>).

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation