Hello,

A while back Kevin Miller shared this script to launch the default Internet
browser, and go to a specific URL (on Win32):

on launchWin32Browser httpDoc
   # httpDoc: URL
   local bApp
   local EXE_off
   put
queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\http\shell\open\command\")
into bApp
   if char 1 of bApp is quote then clear char 1 of bApp  # strip leading quote
   put offset("EXE",bApp) into EXE_off
   put char 1 to (EXE_off+2) of bApp into bApp
   launch httpDoc with bApp
end launchWin32Browser

It works nicely.
I've found, however, some unexpected behavior. When you call the routine,
it launches the browser and loads the specified URL. If you leave the
browser open and then call the routine again (e.g., with a different URL),
nothing happens. The browser remains open to the 1st URL. This only happens
when the browser has been opened with LAUNCH. In other words, if you open
the browser manually (not through MetaCard), then another instance of the
browser will be opened with LAUNCH.

Is this standard behavior for the LAUNCH command?
Is there some way to check to see if the app that was launched previously
is still open?
Is it possible to Close the app?

Bottom line: I need to be able to go to another URL (in the browser)
whether or not it was launched previously.

Hmmm. I'm stumped. Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Leston Drake, President
LetterPress Software, Inc.