I had this problem, and there have been a few emails back and forth about
this about 2 months back. As far as I remember Scott fixed/altered this in
2.3.2 so that the owner returns the long id rather than the name. I think
this is the case now...

What version are you using? Otherwise there are some workarounds like
defining your own function "myowner" and getting the function to return the
long id of the target and then calling this function from your groups...