Actually, I should clarify my comments about pdf.  Acrobat Reader is
free & cross-platform (at last Mac & Windows), but to create pdf
files you do need to purchase the full version of Acrobat.  However,
it's simple to create Acrobat files - you simply print your document
to the Acrobat driver instead of a printer.  Therefore the files can
be anything you can create & print from any application.  Acrobat
reader is free and can be downloaded (most web sites that provide
content this way have a link to the download site).  I assume you can
buy Acrobat from Adobe's web site (as you've probably already found
out if you've visited there).