On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 David Bovill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I know Andu http stack could provides a better "glue" for http and MetaCard,
> >> but I am interested to find out how we could do this on IIS (using cmc.exe)
> >> and Apache (.mt)?
> >
> > There's no way.  Those system just aren't designed to support this
> > kind of thing.  For one thing, in most Apache installations there are
> > actually several copies of that program running at a time (mainly so
> > that if one of them is busy doing a CGI or something the system will
> > still respond to new connections) and so doing synchronization between
> > them would be difficult.  If you really need something like this,
> > you'll need to start yet another MetaCard process (a server) and have
> > the CGI scripts connect to and communicate with that server.
> > Regards,
> > Scott
>
> Would this be possible with a Metacard Apache Module? Namely to have the
> ability to load a Metacard stack into memory, and keep it there in a way in
> which other processes on the server can safely refer to the scripts and data
> it contains?

I haven't looked at it in detail, but yes, I think it'd be technically
possible to do this, at least *within* a process.  Of course, you'd
run right into the problem that multiple HTTP processes are typically
started and the data couldn't be shared among them.  There are also a
lot of limitations for this kind of library on UNIX, like you can't do
anything that would result in delayed execution such as "send in" or
asynchronous open/read/write socket.

> Don't now about IIS on NT, but I guess it would be possible to run a similar
> Apache/module set up?

The DLL interface to IIS is similar enough to Apache mods that it
should work the same way.  Of course, we're not considering doing
either of these things because it'd be a lot of work and you'd end up
with something less useful than just writing a little client/server
system and running MetaCard as a separate server, or just using mchttp
instead of or in addition to another HTTP server.
  Regards,
    Scott