>This might be re-inventing the wheel of exiting "put url" and "load url"
>commands but here goes:
>
>I was trying to query web site with the "put url" command, but this command
>lock the process when the internet link was less than perfect (I am on
>dialup most of the time).
>
>So I changed the query method to "load url x with message y" -- helps a
>little, but still hog from time to time when the connection was real poor.
>The "load url" pause for few seconds (occasionally to a minute)
>
>So I took the trouble to write my own method by using socket, and opened up
>a Pandora box.
>
>A typical http session returns something as follow:
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Server: MetaCard/2.3 ID/11222
>
>And follow by the content of the file.
>However, not many http server returns the "Content-Length" header in many
>cases (special CGI generated result). So I have problem to determine how
>many bytes to read with:
>read from socket x for y chars
>
>Anyone out there has better idea of how can I deal with it?

One wonders why bother writing standards...
 Anyway, I also noticed that replies without content length close the connection right
away
(no keep-alive) so I use the "socketClosed()" message to stop reading and spit out the
data.
You'll also notice that errors behave the same with some servers.

Regards, Andu