>I've been seeing a lot of references to sockets on the list.  This is one topic (among
many) that I am completely ignorant of.  Can someone point me to a book or site where I
could read up on then and how to use them?

Unfortunately "sockets" hardly describes what it actually is and does in this context.
Generally speaking opening, reading/writing and closing sockets are the basic
operations which allow for transmitting/receiving data between 2 computers (local
network or internet).
You open a socket to an address (say, http://www.metacard.com on port 80) and you
write a request for a file (say, index.html). The computer at the other end "listens"
for
requests on port 80 and when "index.html" comes in it writes the file (index.html) to
the
socket you opened. Next, you read from the socket the other computer's reply and
optionally close the socket. Then you do whatever you want with the data received.

>Philip

Regards, Andu