>>> it turns out that what they want is something that's already
>>> in MetaCard but the remaining HC folks are generally resistant to paying
>>> professional prices for professional tools
>>
>> oh, c'mon..... (exaspered sigh!)
>
>Have you read the threads there?

Well, no I don't read c.s.m.h

I have a few pair of pliers I bought for about 5 or 10 dollars that do
quite a servicable job.

Am I resistant to paying professional prices for professional tools? As
an artist, not a programmer, no. I have $200 watercolour brushes. I pay
$25.00 for a 5 ml tube of watercolour. I bought my copy of HyperCard 2.2
for close to $200 Canadian. I buy regular copies of FreeHand. I pay
Canadian dollars. Presently MetaCard would be over 1600 dollars Canadian.

MetaCard is simply out of range and too, uhm, difficult, for some who
aren't professional programmers or developers. Why shouldn't a 'hobbyist'
or just plain Mac user have a reasonable, inexpensive, and accessible
programming environment?